In This Post
- 7 unique programs
- 23 different variables
Don’t have time to read the whole post right now?
No worries. I understand this is a long post, so I created a PDF of the comparison chart to view at your own convenience and you may continue reading the details later.
Some of the links below are affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission, at no extra cost to you.
David Wolfe Nutrition
I created this post to allow you to compare all the most important factors in one place when choosing the best online Holistic Nutrition Certification for you.
I’ve been in the health industry for nearly 12 years and worn many hats in my time; personal trainer, consultant, nutritionist, manager, coach etc. Suffice to say, I’ve dabbled with enough courses to have a keen eye on what’s what.
Who is this post for?
This post is for you if you want to stand out with one of the best holistic nutrition certifications available online, or are currently working in the fitness field and are looking to add a holistic nutrition certification to your resume, and if you want an easier time making a decision on which is the best online holistic nutrition coaching certification for you.
You may also want to check out
I’ve Done The Homework So You Don’t Have To
I’ve have made contact with some of the providers as well in order to give you as much information as possible to help you make an informed decision. And while some look shiny on the surface, I have my doubts on whether there’s substance beneath that shine.
A Transparent and Objective Review
This review will be entirely objective as I have not participated in any of the programs myself. Now, you may be wondering why you should keep reading if I’m not giving you a subjective option? Because what I bring to the table are transparency and experience.
My Honest Opinion
Using my personal experience to comprise a basis of what I think it takes to transform the health and life of another, I will give my no-bullshit, honest opinion on each of the programs.
Let’s get to it, shall we.
Oh…and if you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to contact me. I WILL answer your email.
Quick Links Again
*Although, I highly recommend you look at the side-by-side comparison before browsing each program individually.
Side-by-Side Comparison of 7 Online Holistic Nutrition Certification Programs
Scroll right to view more columns. If you are viewing from a phone or tablet I recommend rotating into a landscape for the best viewing experience.
For your convenience
I created a PDF version of the comparison table below to view at your own convenience. Feel free to share it with others who may benefit from seeing this comparison.
|Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website|
|Certifications||Nutrition Therapy Practitioner||Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner||Mind Body Eating Coach||BodyMind Performance Coach||David Wolfe Nutrition Certification||Fitness Nutrition Coach||Sports Nutrition Specialist|
|Help you stand out from the competition||✔||✔||✔|
|Start Anytime||No - Next enrollment is Sept/20 - Fills fast||✔||No - Next enrollment not yet announced||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Program Length||10 months, instructor-led||1 year limit, typically takes 6 months||8 months||No limit||No limit||No Limit, typically 1-2 weeks||No Limit, typically 1-2 weeks|
|Totals Program Hours||n/a||150 hrs||250 hrs||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|1 on 1 mentoring||✔||✔||✔|
|Live Virtual Classes||✔||✔|
|Live Nutrition Coaching Practice||✔||✔||✔|
|Informational Live and Recorded Webinars||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Digital Downloads For Modules||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Video Content For Modules||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Handouts to use with clients||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Lifetime Access To Resources||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Learn How To Start Your Own Nutrition Coaching Business||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Learn How To Market Yourself||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔|
|Learn How to Build Your Own Website|
|Private Facebook Group||Private forum||✔||✔|
|Investment (if paid in full)||$5900||$6495||6950||$599||$570||$297||$347|
|Payment Plan (example)||$1180 x 5||$566 x 12 |
$1107 x 6
|$375 x 16|
$630 x 12
$1200 x 6
|n/a||n/a||$81 x 4||$94 x 4|
|Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website||Visit Website|
#1 Career-Based Online Holistic
Nutrition Certification Program
Provider: Nutritional Therapy Association
Certification: Nutritional Therapy Practitioner
Full Price: $5900
Payment Plan: Registration Fee: $400 – $550, then $1180 x 5
Nutritional Therapy Association Review
- All online
- Instructor-led, like online schooling
- Nutrition Therapy Practitioner Certification
- 1-on-1 mentoring and coaching
- Live nutrition coaching practice
- Business development skills
- Mentored case studies
- Interest-free payment plans
- Governed by Washington State, licensed by the Washington State Workforce Training and Education Coordinating Board as a private vocational school, and the Council of Holistic Health Educators (US)
- I’m inclined to say the price, but that would just devalue the program. The fact that it’s instructor-led, alone separates this program from all the others. I think it’s worth every single penny when you consider the depth of the program and the amount of support that is included. This program is one of a kind. It’s very well rounded and will definitely separate you from the nutritionist down the street.
This module provides an introduction to the learning space as well as an overview of the NTA paradigm and the occupational focus of the Nutritional Therapy Professional.
Evolution of the Modern Diet
This module provides a review of the history and evolution of the modern diet, including key nutritional pioneers, major milestones leading to our current diet, sourcing and farming practices, and cultural diet differences.
Basics of Nutrition
This module offers an overview of foundational nutrition, explores specific guidelines for what constitutes a nutrient-dense, properly prepared, whole foods diet, and presents the roles of macronutrients and micronutrients.
Client Consultation Process
In this module, students will learn how to conduct an initial interview using Motivational Interviewing techniques, evaluate a Food & Mood Journal, and manually evaluate a Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire (NAQ). Using these tools, students will be able to develop a customized protocol based on each client’s bio-individual needs.
Culinary Wellness, Part 1
Where food comes from, food quality and proper preparation is core to achieving optimal health. This module will guide students through food sourcing, quality and preparation, understanding food industry language, and key changes to make in the kitchen and pantry to support the basics of using food to achieve optimal health.
Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology
This module introduces basic anatomy and physiology concepts and terminology. Students will continue to learn about the form and structure of other body systems in subsequent modules.
Digestion and Elimination
This module focuses on the physiology of the gastrointestinal tract and digestion process, as well as how to identify nutritional needs and stressors, and how to restore health to the digestive system.
Blood Sugar Regulation
In this module, students will learn the physiology and importance of blood sugar regulation, including how to identify blood sugar dysregulation in clients, and how to regulate blood sugar through nutritional and lifestyle practices.
Fatty Acid Balance
This module highlights the many critical roles of fat in the body and debunks common myths about fat and cholesterol.
This module emphasizes the role of minerals in maintaining proper serum pH, nerve conduction, muscle function, and tissue growth. Students will learn to identify and address mineral deficiencies caused by stress, nutritional deficiencies, and other lifestyle choices.
This module addresses the systemic effects of dehydration and the importance of maintaining kidney health for optimal elimination, mineral balance, and blood cell production.
In this module, students will learn about the complex system of relationships within the endocrine system, how to identify hormonal imbalances, and help bring clients into balance by addressing The Foundations.
Allergies and Immune
This module focuses on the physiology of the immune system, food allergies, and intolerances, as well as how to improve the health of the immune system to enhance overall health.
This module presents many underlying causes of cardiovascular dysfunction and methods to support cardiovascular health through a focus on The Foundations.
Sleep, Stress, and Movement
This module will explore the impact of a person’s stress levels, quantity, and quality of sleep and what type of movement or exercise a person chooses to do on overall health, as well as share steps that can be taken to address each impinging factor.
In this module, students will learn the impact that chemicals, toxins, mold, our home and work environments, and other environmental factors have on our overall health. Students will learn how to identify common toxins and chemicals and recommend healthy tips to reduce the negative impact of environmental toxins.
Barriers, Influences, and Emotional Well-Being
This module provides students with tools to better understand the whole person and address nutritional needs holistically. From socioeconomic, cultural, and familial status to emotional wellbeing and self-talk, this module will discuss the impact of these factors on overall health and ideas for addressing concerns with clients.
Metabolic Clearing and Detoxification
In this module, students will learn the difference between metabolic clearing and detoxification and how to use nutritional therapy to help optimize the body’s natural process of cleansing, nourishing, and restoring the body from the inside out.
Culinary Wellness, Part 2
Building on the knowledge introduced in Culinary Wellness, Part One, this module dives into the practical application of culinary healing and how to become a guru in the kitchen. Culinary skills, batch cooking, super foods, and cooking methods will be presented.
In this module, students will be given tips and resources for setting up their own practices. Scope of practice and legal implications, professional organizations in which students may be interested, and introductory business building tips will be included. This module is a great precursor to the NTA’s more in-depth business-building Career Development Course.
- Private vocational school in Washington State, licensed by the Washington State Workforce Training and Education Coordinating
- Board Council of Holistic Health Educators (US), a membership-based 501(c)(4) nonprofit advocacy organization made up of holistic health schools and organizations, practitioners, and supporters. They work to protect the practice of holistic health by defeating harmful legislation, and lobby to pass laws that protect and grow our diverse profession’s ability to practice and employment opportunities. They educate policymakers, build grassroots support, and train holistic health practitioners to become involved in the policy process and win.
Who is this certification for?
If you are looking to take a well-balanced but slightly therapeutic approach in your nutrition practice, this is the best online holistic nutrition certification for you.
Why Nutrition Therapy Association appears to be a clear choice:
The Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP) online program is a ten-month, instructor-led, fully online program.
- Earn a credible and professional credential. The NTA is a well-established leader in nutrition education, and the Nutritional Therapy Practitioner credential is highly recognized and valued by professionals and clients alike. Not only will you gain confidence in helping others dial in their optimal nutrition plan, but you’ll also have the cred and know-how that legitimizes your ability to empower them, to teach them there’s a better way toward wellness.
- Bio-individual approach to nutrition. Unlike programs that teach you a one-diet-fits-all approach (or, worse yet, one that teaches you too many to count, which overwhelms you and your clients), you’ll learn how to honour each person’s body and situation as unique. This gives you a personalized lens into uncovering specific imbalances and then identifying the foods and nutrients best support balance and function on an individual level. This is personalized nutrition on steroids!
- Confidence to begin your successful dream career. Whether you want to teach group classes, help your friends and family, or launch an online holistic nutrition business, you’ll graduate from this program with the support of your instructors and classmates and with the knowledge, tools, and total confidence to do exactly what you want to do!
- An education designed around your demanding schedule. Do you work full-time in an office or as a caregiver? Maybe you’re searching for something that fits into a hectic life that has no set schedule from day-to-day? Whatever your situation, this program will meet you where you are. The NTP Online program is an instructor-led, fully online holistic nutrition program where you’ll learn from instructors with real-life experience as NTPs themselves. You will also learn right along with a cohort of like-minded peers who are there to support and challenge you throughout your program. You will never be left on your own to figure things out.
- Gain knowledge and skills to create a ripple effect that transforms lives and shifts the outlook of health to one of hope, today and for generations to come. Leverage what you already know and take your abilities to the next level of competence. In 10 short months, you’ll join the thousands who have become change-makers through the program, delivering hope to others by showing them how to take their health into their own hands.
Did you know…
that less than 13% of physician visits include any nutritional counselling? With more diseases and ailments originating from a nutritional deficiency than ever before, our healthcare climate is in dire need of an alternative solution. If you’ve been considering a career in nutrition, there is no better time to become a Nutritional Therapy Practitioner (NTP) through the Nutritional Therapy Association.
As an NTP, we are given the tools and knowledge to lead individuals and communities in restoring health through the power of nutritional therapy.
The NTA’s programs are uniquely based on a foundational, holistic approach to nutrition. It’s the mission of the NTA to deliver a science-based education that equips and connects a community of confident holistic nutrition professionals to harness the power of real food, reconnecting each person to the unique needs and innate wisdom of their bodies to support lasting wellness.
The NTP Online program is a ten-month, instructor-led, fully online course that offers tools for managing clients and assessing nutritional deficiencies by tapping into the body’s own feedback system. We learn how to address weaknesses through a properly prepared, whole food, and nutrient-dense diet, along with lifestyle changes. NTA’s curriculum challenges today’s nutritional paradigm by teaching a holistic, ancestral approach rooted in modern science.
If you are like me and are ready to take your passion for nutrition to the next level, look no further. Let’s join forces to empower a passionate community of life-changing nutrition professionals to create a ripple effect that transforms lives and shifts the outlook of health to one of hope, today and for generations to come.
Want to learn more about the NTA programs and get your questions answered by a Lead Instructor and Admissions Advisor? Attend the next Live Info Session >>
A little info on the role of a Nutrition Therapy Practitioner
An NTP’s job is to help address the ill effects of poor dietary and lifestyle habits while supporting the physiological foundations. NTP’s endorse a nutrient-dense, whole food, properly prepared diet as well as supplementation when necessary to correct imbalances and deficiencies.
Goals of Nutrition Therapy
The NTA’s primary goal is to encourage people to become more knowledgeable about—and responsible
for—their own health. Attaining optimal health through proper nutrition and balancing the Foundations is
not a quick fix solution, however, and requires sincere commitment, possible lifestyle changes, and a
Scope of Practice
A Nutritional Therapy Practitioner™ (“NTP”) is a professional educated by the Nutritional Therapy
Association, Inc.® NTPs are trained to evaluate a client’s nutritional needs and make bio-individual
recommendations or provide follow up support for dietary changes, lifestyle choices and nutritional
supplementation based on the following:
• Client Interview
• Analysis of Client’s Food Journal
• Nutritional Assessment Questionnaire
All advice and support recommendations made by an NTP should be based on evidence-based, scientific
information. An NTP is not trained to provide medical diagnoses, prescriptions, or treatment of any
medical or pathological conditions, illnesses, diseases, or injuries. No recommendation or comment
made by an NTP should be construed as medical advice or diagnosis.
Roles Performed by Nutritional Therapy Association Practitioners
The role of an NTP is to provide non-biased health and nutrition information to friends, neighbours,
associates, and the community. They educate the public on the cost/benefit of eating unprocessed, local,
fresh, nutrient-dense foods and quality nutritional products that support chronic nutritional deficiencies
as well as lifestyle and environmental factors that contribute to these deficiencies.
• Practice Medical Nutrition
• Diagnose and treat disease
• Make unproven health claims
• Misrepresent training
• Use unproven devices, assessments or therapies
• Use network marketing or product sales in lieu of individual client education.
• Promote a nutrient-dense diet
• Focus on Foundational Nutrition and balancing the Nutritional Foundations
• Promote active lifestyles
• Teach ancestral eating principles
• Fresh, natural-foods basis
• Educational emphasis
• Client-based, not method or product-based
• Refers to doctors for medical conditions
• Highest standard of accountability and integrity
• Uses informed consent and full disclosure forms
• Adheres to the NTA Practitioner Code of Ethics
Required Texts ($375, not included in tuition):
- Introduction to the Human Body
The Essentials of Anatomy & Physiology (11th Edition)
by Gerald J. Tortora and Bryan Derrickson
- Motivational Interviewing in Nutrition and Fitness
by Dawn Clifford and Laura Curtis
- The Peace Process (2020 edition)
by Miriam G. Zacharias
- Signs and Symptoms Analysis from a Functional Perspective
by Dicken Weatherby, ND
- Advanced Human Nutrition (4th edition)
by Denis M. Medeiros & Robert E.C. Wildman
#2 Career-Based Online Holistic Nutrition
Provider: Functional Diagnostic Nutrition
Certification: Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner
Full Price: $6495
Payment Plan: Registration Fee: $250, then $1107 x 6 or $566 x 12
Watch this video on the topic of the mind to get more insight into the approach taken at Functional Diagnostic Nutrition.
Presented by Reed Davis, Owner of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition